Thursday, April 10, 2014

It's Thursday!




Being unemployed offers up a lot of unique opportunities. Being creative. Writing my book. Editing new videos. Going to the coffee shop in the middle of the day and sitting in a big comfy chair... which happens to be situated in front of a gigantic window that is seemingly hotter than hell itself! Seriously, it may not look like it, but I'm sweating buckets here. I know moving is an option but I just got comfortable. So until I can't stand it any longer... here is where I stay! Pitted undershirt be damned!




Allrighty then - What's new? Well I caught Captain America: The Winter Solder yesterday afternoon. And what did I think? Friggen LOVED it. Seriously. 24 some hours later and I believe I can officially stamp it my favorite Marvel movie thus far. It took all the Captain America appearances that happened before and expanded them in a logical, smart direction that continues to build not only his character, but the ones around him. In her 4th appearance as Black Widow, Scarlett Johansson finally actually has something of a character to work with. Sure she got a moment or two in The Avengers - but really, not all that much. Here, it feels like they're actually building her towards her own movie - which would be awesome!

Next you have franchise newcomer Anthony Mackie as Falcon - who is also awesome in the role and makes for an empathetic character for Chris Evan's titular character to play off of. More than a simple stock character to round out the cast, he genuinely feels like he's being built into his own franchise as well - again I am all for.

As a whole this movie works because it's taken out of the comic book genre and dropped into 70's spy thrillers. It plays like a Bourne movie that doesn't take itself so damned serious. That isn't to say it's a joke a minute, but there are enough moments of levity to remind people that they're supposed to be having fun and enjoying themselves. The filmmakers even cribbed Paul Greengrass' patented "Confusovision" for the hand to hand fight sequences, only you wont need a stomach suppressant to watch this one. Directors Anthony and Joe Russo who were known for comedy TV shows like Community are in fine form here as action directors - and according to rumor have signed to direct the inevitable Captain America 3.

Robert Redford also lends a lot of weight to the movie. No, that's not a fat joke. The dude looks to be in great shape; and in true Redford form, is deft at playing someone that could be your best friend or worst enemy all at the same time. And then there's Sam Jackson as S.H.I.E.L.D. Director Fury - who is once again like in The Avengers is allowed to expand his character beyond being a random authority figure in a black trench coat. Backstory is an incredible asset to making a movie good - who knew?

Notice I'm being vague about the plot and the story? That's by design. I hate people that spoil movies and I especially hate it when I spoil a movie. This particular one, while not all together surprising, there are a lot of pieces to this puzzle and I don't want to ruin someone's good time by going too far into detail. I will say again, this is Marvel's best offering to date - easily a 5/5 in my book.

Now to 3D or not to 3D? Good question. Not to 3D. I saw it in 3D, the effect is nice, especially towards the end action sequences, but it's not necessary. This is one of those moments where while I love 3D to death, I wish Marvel was a bit more choosey about what movies get the 3D treatment and how they do it. Just once I'd love them to shoot the movie in 3D for a change. The conversion is practically flawless, but still, not needed to have a great time.

NOW - as a result of Captain America: The Winter Soldier, the world is being given a new meme to enjoy - you've maybe seen it floating around? Someone seemingly whispering into someone's ear saying "Hail Hydra." Don't worry, this isn't really a spoiler - thankfully! But I have jumped in on the fun with my own offerings. So without further ado here are my Hail Hydra pics:







And with that, I will leave you for this great day. Before to come back tomorrow for my latest and perhaps most awesome Epic Trailer yet! Seriously - I'm pretty damn proud of it. See you then!

No comments: