Friday, June 7, 2013

STUFF OF THE DAY...


I woke up all kinds of fuzzy headed today, maybe not enough sleep? It could have been the Slurpee from 7-11 I sucked down at 9:00 last night,  but I'm sitting here wondering why we only have five fingers and five toes on each hand and foot? Why not six? For that matter, why not four? Who made this decision? Granted I know some folks are born with an extra digit here and there, but it still seems like we'd be able to get more done faster with more fingers. I know I'd be able to type faster. For that matter why do we only have two arms? Goro from Mortal Kombat had the right idea...  Strange brain space today... 

ANYWAY onwards dear readers. Had a chance to catch a screening of Frances Ha last night and I gotta tell you well worth it, pick up my review on my new page Flick Show Ticket and decide for yourself if my unabashed praise for this gem of a comedy is enough to convince you to find it in your area.


Today's random topic is...

X-BOX One VS PS4 

Whenever people start talking about which video game console is better than the other, I always picture this scene from RoboCop...


 As most of you gaming individuals are no doubt aware(unless you live under a rock) there are two NEW!!! video game systems hitting the marketplace this fall. YAYA! or BOOOO!!! Depending on how you want to look at it. Do we really need new systems? Probably not? Are they going to be fun as hell? You better believe it... well... maybe. The trick dear readers, we may be about to experience the first generation of console gaming where you don't actually OWN the game you payed money for. No, that doesn't mean Microsoft and Sony are going to stream games(which they should), no it means the game you pay top dollar for, you are merely licensing. Dat's right. Licensing. If you want an interesting, if not one-sided breakdown check out this rant on Forbes. I swear this is not going to be a shit on Sony or a shit on Microsoft post. As of this writing it is only Microsoft that has unveiled full specs for their system, in addition to confirming the long rumored axe to used games. While you can argue that they do allow used games, what they don't allow you to do is barrow your friend's game. SO say you're heading over to your best friends place and want to get a little two player action going, in order to do that you have to unhook your system, cart it over to your friends place, hook it all up again and then start playing. Sure the disc will work on your friend's machine... only after they pay for it! Since this system is yet to launch, there is still time for Microsoft to clarify and potentially right this wrong. Now Sony's new PS4 is NOT off the hook on this either. Sony has yet to give any real specs for the PS4 beyond the graphics, games, and show off the new touch pad enabled controller. That's it. They haven't even showed off the system! So there is still plenty of time for X-Box and PS4 to wander down the same rabbit hole together and both learn how to equally piss off their fan base.

   What do I find interesting or exciting about these consoles? Well aside from the graphics capabilities, not all that much really. Sure they're going to have 4kHD resolution graphics but since the cheapest entry level 4kHD TV set costs over $25g's that isn't really an up shot. Both come Blu-Ray enabled, cool... but still... so what? Microsoft offers a slew of interesting entertainment center features that are both interesting and outright frightening! For one the new X-Box will be able to voice and visual cue control your TV. COOL! But in order to do that, the microphone has to always be on, AND it saves your voice and image sample to create a user profile that is cataloged and stored... Not Cool... too 1984 for it's own good I say. As for Sony, well... until I actually SEE what the system looks like, I'm inclined to believe that there isn't going to be one. I know this isn't true, but the hours are ticking away and they don't have a whole lot to show for themselves.(UPDATE)
Apparently I spoke too soon? about being charged a fee? Check out what the AP has to say. Honestly at this point, I am just confused what Microsoft intends to do with their games. One thing is for sure, they are not owning the story here. Rumor and speculation is winning the day and that is not a good thing.
   What system am I inclined to get? Well, to be perfectly honest, neither. Both are cwoming with a price tag north of $350 and I just don't play enough games to plunk down that much cash. With more games focusing on lifetime sucking multiplayer and less on interesting single player story telling, I'm having a harder and harder time justifying a $60 price tag for a new game. Unless one of these systems flies out of the gate with some of the most bleeding eye inducingly beautiful graphics and exhilarating games that gives people heart attacks... I'm probably going to stick this round out. From the Apple 2GS, to the Sega Mastersystem, to the NES, SNES, Genesis, PC, Playstation 1, 2, and 3 - I have been playing games quite awhile, and to be honest... I don't think I'm going to miss them all that much. Maybe I'm growing up.

  Anyway, thanks for reading folks! If you have thoughts about the next round of console wars, take your comments out of your pocket and leave them below! If you missed my first issue of ToyAddiction, pop on over and give it a read. Till Monday, enjoy your weekend, get some rest and have fun. Adios - MGH

 

No comments: